2010 Decennial Census
The U.S. Constitution requires a population and housing census every 10 years. According to the Census Bureau website, the massive undertaking has been referred to as the largest peacetime mobilization in U.S. history. Census results are the basis for congressional representation as well as the distribution of federal, state and local funds totaling more than $300 billion annually.
2010 Census population and race data for each county within the state of New Mexico is available in this section. Additional information including detailed race, voting age population (over 18), housing units and occupancy rates are currently available for virtually every geographic level possible down to the smallest Census block level.
Detailed characteristics such as income, poverty, journey to work, education, and employment data are no longer reported by the Decennial Census and are instead available from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey.
The U.S. Census Bureau has released the Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010. The demographic profiles provide 100 percent count data regarding age and sex distributions, race, Hispanic or Latino origin, household relationship and type, the group quarters population, and housing occupancy and owner/renter status. The profile includes more than 150 data items in all, plus percentage distributions. Highlights include:
- The median age was 36.7.
- The average household size was 2.55 people per household.
- Among the state's occupied housing units, 68.5 percent were owned.
- The median age was 35.8.
- The average household size was 2.45 people per household.
- Among the occupied housing units, 63.2 percent were owned.
- The median age was 37.9.
- The average household size was 2.75 people per household.
- Among the occupied housing units, 81.0 percent were owned.
- The median age was 41.6.
- The average household size was 2.52 people per household.
- Among the occupied housing units, 80.3 percent were owned.
- The median age was 37.7.
- The average household size was 2.73 people per household.
- Among the occupied housing units, 80.0 percent were owned.