Encino began with the three Rs - ranching, railways, and roads. An east-west line of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe Railway passes through the community.
- Area: 2 square miles
- Incorporated: 1938
- Location: Crossroads of US 60 and US 285 and New Mexico State Road 3 in eastern Torrance County
- Population, 2015: 78
In the 1800's a natural, year-round spring drew travelers on their way to the Territorial Capitol in Santa Fe. A large stone and adobe hacienda provided accommodations for the spring-seekers. Large numbers of sheep and cattle roamed the plains near Encino. One early rancher had 40,000 sheep at one time. Encino got a post office in 1904.
In 1905, the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway built track through the area, and Encino became a water stop. Before long, the town had two newspapers and several thriving businesses, including a mercantile started by Richard C. Dillon, who was New Mexico Governor from 1927 to 1931.
- Four councilors, elected for four-year staggered terms
- Mayor, elected
- Electric: Central New Mexico Electric Cooperative
- Natural Gas: not available, Liquid gas is available in Vaughn
- Sewer: Individual on-site systems
- Solid Waste: Torrance County Solid Waste Authority
- Source: Ground water
- Telephone: Eastern New Mexico Rural Telephone Cooperative
- Water: Town of Vaughn water system
- Highways: U.S. 60, U.S. 285, New Mexico State Road 3
- Rail: Burlington Northern Santa Fe
- Kindergarten to 12th grade: Vaughn School District
- Encino's Village Hall, located in an old red-brick school, is the heart of the community. The interior still has the original tin ceiling tiles, hardwood floors, and cast-iron radiators. The gym, with its hardwood floor and stage, serves as a recreation center, and the building also houses a community library.